, ,

I could not sleep very well because Troy slept in my room. He kept waking up every so often to either cough or throw up. There was nothing to throw up except some white liquid which I presume was the remaining barium used for the coloured X-ray. His cannula was in and I had given him the remainder of the fluid started at the clinic the previous day. I was quite touched when the vet called me that evening to see how we fared on the long drive back. He also said he would call again the following evening to get an update on Troy’s state.
I finally got out of bed by 7.30, started cleaning up the house where he had thrown up, took a quick shower, then set up the IV for his morning fluids. I got the shots ready as well. I put in the IV and got it going, then gave him the shots. He was very lethargic, did not move or get up. This was all in my bedroom. My bathroom is en suite, so I just stepped in there when I heard a crash and Troy was standing there right next to me with the IV trailing behind him. I jumped out to find that he had toppled the whole setup with the bottle of fluid, the chair and the walking stick. I immediately righted the bottle, closed the connector, then checked that his cannula was still in.

It took me five attempts to get it going again, and when I did I would not budge for fear of a repeat. So it took three hours to get the full bottle in, and finally I was able to get up and go to the bathroom.
I needed to go buy food for the rest of the dogs so dashed out to try to finish in record time to get back to him. Two hours later, on my way back I realised that I forgot to have breakfast.
Troy was very docile for the rest of the day. He took his evening IV without resistance and the vet called me to ask how he was doing. I told him about his belaboured breath, he prescribed two more medications one of which was to open his lungs for better breath. I managed to get both and gave them to him before it was time to go to bed.
He slept well, and so did I. He woke me up at 6.30 by placing his chin on my feet, stood there looking at me and slowly wagging his tail. A most beautiful way to wake up.
I got his IV ready, his shots ready and we got going. The IV did not give me as much trouble as the day before. He did react to the shots which indicated more alertness, a great sign of improvement. But this alertness made him more difficult to control and keep quiet for the IV. At one point he suddenly got up pulling the whole setup down and breaking a plastic bit on the IV connector, but thank God I had another one. I need to stock up. To settle him down I had to sit down next to him on his blanket, make sure he was comfortable by raising his head on a little pillow for easy breathing, and making sure he could touch me so he knows I’m there even with his eyes closed.

I’m much more hopeful today of a happy outcome than I was even as late as yesterday morning. He was now responding well to medication and was being spoiled rotten with all the attention. I shall soon have to start looking into how to make a Bailey chair for him and the moment the feast vacation is over will commission it. Things were really starting to look up, though we were not quite out of the woods yet.